Addiction Pet Foods says it’s “rethinking, reinventing, and staying ahead of the pack; that one day all pet food will be made the way they make it“ quite the broadcast, but is it true?
Is this pet food so good that dogs literally get addicted to it?
Where exactly is it made and by whom? Who sells it? Have there been any recalls associated with it, what kind of of reviews does it get?
Note: Read on to find out the answers to all this and more.
Compare this product with Amazon Best Sellers in the Best Dog Food category.
Knowing what your dog is consuming is paramount in raising and feeding them on a daily basis. Therefore, researching the companies making the food is a worthwhile investment.
You don’t have the time to do this too often, do you? No worries, it’s why we started this site in the first place. We do the digging for you.
Note: We rely heavily on the accuracy and integrity on the data the companies provide on their own to the public domain, such as the internet.
So: That being said, let’s dive into the very interesting company known as Addiction pet food and see what they’re all about, shall we?
Below we dig deeper into a company that resulted from a season vet and clinical nutritionist’s frustration with under-nourishing and harmful pet food being marketed to caring pet owners.
Is Addiction Dog Food Safe?
For the past 16 years that this innovative dog food company has been around, it has not found itself in the “dog house” much, thankfully.
Note: The only time we saw a possible concern was when they voluntarily recalled two of their dog canned dog foods. There were no animal health concerns, however, and the company only pulled the products because they did not meet their internal quality standards.
The reason for their pulling of them was “elevated levels of Vitamin A and a slight variance in calcium / phosphorous ratios,” which result in them implementing additional operational procedures to prevent similar occurrences in the future.
Now: Considering that in 16 years this minor occurrence is the only speck on their otherwise clean record, Addiction Pet Foods is considered a reputable and safe brand.
Addiction pet foods have pioneered the concept of using hypoallergenic premium proteins in their dog food. Which contain no by-products, preservatives, or fillers. Thus: Preventing allergies and promoting wellness and long-term health.
Additionally, they have innovated in the use of low-temp processing; retaining the crucial nutrients, enzymes, and co-factors in the pet food.
Who Makes Addiction Dog Food?
Addiction was founded back in 2002 by a “a leading holistic veterinary surgeon and clinical nutritionist with over 20 years’ experience,” who could not tolerate under-nourishing and harmful pet food any longer.
So: He had identified a connection between painful skin and gastrointestinal problems and the diets of the pets he was treated on a day to day basis, and decided to do something about it.
The result was a journey into the pet food market to see what was going on. In the process he had discovered that the available pet food did not have the proper nutrients our pets needed to stay fit, healthy, and active.
Note: Mainly due to an unhealthy combination of grains, fats, by-products, and additives that were contributing to serious health problems and allergies.
Addiction aims to be the world’s leading premium pet food company and is committed to formulating different nutritional needs of pets around the world, nourishing the bonds between pets and their owners. ~ CEO of Addiction Pet Foods
- Whole Dog Journal Approved, Dry Foods 2010
- Whole Dog Journal Approved, Dry Foods 2009
- Whole Dog Journal Approved, Dry Foods 2007
- Whole Dog Journal Approved, Wet Foods 2007
About Addiction Pet Food’s Mission
Focused on a dedication to making your dogs life better and making a difference in their lives by following these four pillars.
- Innovation & Advancement: From innovating the ways hypoallergenic proteins are used to creating unique Raw Dehydrated dog foods, establishing themselves as a leader in the advancement of nutritionally advanced pet foods.
- Wholesomeness: A philosophy that leaves no room for the compromise of quality. Only natural and wholesome dog foods, about as close as nature intended as it gets.
- Nourishing Bonds: A significant focus on taste, and flavors. They aim for the food to be a special soul feeding experience that creates an even more special bond with a person and their beloved dog.
- Protecting the Environment: Striving to use resources conscientiously as well as to assist in the conservation of our plant. Sourcing ingredients only from suppliers implementing sustainable and ethical practices.
Now: You know who makes Addiction Pet Food and their mission, vision, and values.
Who Sells Addiction Dog Food?
As of 2018 Addiction has been selling globally in four available product brands: Addiction, Addiction Private Label Division, Wishbone, Nutri-RX.
Having three headquarters in North America, Singapore & New Zealand to manage their global market,.Addiction dog food can be found in various retail partners throughout the world.
- Good Dog People
- Woofy’s Corner
- Woofia Pet Grooming & Supplies
- Wizard of Paws
- Underdog Pet Shop
- The Pet Doctor Veterinary Clinic
- The Pampered Pet Corner
- The Online Pet Store
- The One Pet
- The Loyal One
Where to buy Addiction dog food?
There are many locations where you can buy quality Addiction dog food. Online and off.
Now: To find the closest one to you, simply go to Addiction Food’s Store Locator and type in your zip code in the search bar.
Where Is Addiction Dog Food Made?
Addiction makes their food in New Zealand. Because the company itself was established there. New Zealand is known for being one of the prominent and cleanest places in the world to manufacture pet food.
Another plus is that the food is made in their own plants, situated in the Bay of Plenty, New Zealand. A stunning environment, filled with lush forests, crystal clear lakes, and stringent agriculture and manufacturing standards. So: High quality dog food is made in a pristine environment with strict standards.
Note: New Zealand is free from diseases such as Mad-cow Disease and Foot and Mouth Disease.
Where does Addiction source their ingredients from?
Having three world headquarters, the main ones being in New Zealand, it’s natural that this company does not source all their ingredients from the USA. They do however use the highest quality standards when sourcing natural, eco-friendly ingredients.
They use only natural, wholesome, ingredients of the highest quality. They also strive to use only wild or free-range meats that are not subject to any manipulations; such as steroids and growth homones, but rather meat that comes from animals raised in a stress-free environment.
Why do they do the above? To get food/meat that is as close to nature’s intent as possible. Which in turn means high levels of optimal health for your dog.
Fun fact: They were the first company to source eco-friendly meats in an effort to contribute to eco-sustainability.
When it comes to the ingredients Addiction dog food uses in their products, they are true to their founders original intent and mission to purify and nutrient-enrich pet food.
Things they avoid using: By-products, fillers, and unnecessary artificial preservatives or flavors; they aim to make clean dog food. Plus, as mentioned before they also use an innovative low-temperature cooking method to retain precious nutrients and enzymes in the raw ingredients used.
How Does Addiction Dog Food Rate?
Between their dry, canned, and raw-dehydrate selections, from everything we have seen and heard, Addiction dog food sits at an imposing 4.5 out of 5 stars. This New Zealand company with headquarters in the US and Singapore is doing it right!
When it comes to Addiction: Their nutrients oriented approach to formulas is a dog owners dream come true. Other dog food companies tend to use hydrolyzed proteins and grains for example, to create hypoallergenic recipes. But Addiciton Pet Food chooses instead to go for premium protein sources from kangaroo and brushtails; to provide a holistic naturally hypoallergenic alternative.
Which Addiction Dog Food Is Best?
Various dog owners across the globe rave about Addiction’s canned dog food as the champion among the three types offered. However, the ultimate answer depends on your dog and their lifestyle.
Now: It’s easy to pick one product/formula, such as the Addiction New Zealand Venison and Apples, and rave on about how great it is. But there are many products that are just as great, and frankly maybe your dog doesn’t like apples. . .
Thus: We review individual products separately and leave brand reviews showing all products offered. What about puppies though?
Can puppies eat Addiction dog food?
Yes, Addiction has one puppy specific formula: Addiction Salmon Bleu Puppy.
The other are for all life stages, meaning they can be fed to any dog, but with foresight and careful attention paid to rations and frequency.
Note: Looking to find the top food selection for your breed? Then you should check out our comprehensive guides:
The above covers everything from classification, to feeding tips, to top recommendations.
You’ll notice the following letters accompanying each recipe below. This is the recipes pertinent AAFCO nutrient profile (if we’re able to locate it on the company’s website).
- All Life Stages
Important: We feel it important to state that many websites do not reliably indicate which Growth or All Life Stages recipes are deemed safe for large breed puppies.
Now: You may see it on some of the recipes below, but we typically do not include this data in our reports. Make sure you examine the actual packaging for this information.
Addiction Dog Food Formulas
- Addiction Le Lamb [A] [Dry] [Grain-Free]
- Addiction Mega [A] [Dry]
- Addiction Salmon Bleu [A] [Dry] [Grain-Free]
- Addiction Salmon Bleu Puppy [G] [Dry] [Grain-Free]
- Addiction Viva La Venison [A] [Dry] [Grain-Free]
- Addiction Wild Kangaroo & Apples [A] [Dry] [Grain-Free]
- Addiction Fig’licious Venison Feast [A] [Raw-Dehydrated]
- Addiction Perfect Summer Brushtail [A] [Raw-Dehydrated]
- Addiction Outback Kangaroo Feast [A] [Raw-Dehydrated] [Grain-Free]
- Addiction Herbed Lamb & Potatoes [M] [Raw-Dehydrated] [Grain-Free]
- Addiction Steakhouse Beef & Zucchini Entree [M] [Raw-Dehydrated] [Grain-Free]
- Addiction New Zealand Forest Delicacies [A] [Raw-Dehydrated]
- Addiction Country Chicken & Apricot Dinner [M] [Raw-Dehydrated] [Grain-Free]
- Addiction Homestyle Venison & Cranberry Dinner [A] [Raw-Dehydrated]
- Addiction Nutri-RX Allergy-HS [A] [Raw-Dehydrated]
- Addiction Unagi & Seaweed [A] [Canned]
- Addiction King Salmon & Potatoes [A] [Canned]
- Addiction Safari Buffalo Meatloaf [A] [Canned]
- Addiction New Zealand Venison & Apples [A] [Canned]
- Addiction Turkey with Cranberries & Apples [U] [Canned]
- Addiction Black Forest Rabbit & Blueberries [A] [Canned]
- Addiction New Zealand Brushtail & Vegetables [A] [Canned]
- Addiction Herbed Duck Confit & Sweet Potatoes [A] [Canned]
Addiction Dog Treats
- Addiction Meaty Bites – Beef [U] [Treat]
- Addiction Meaty Bites – Bushtail [U] [Treat]
- Addiction Meaty Bites – Chicken [U] [Treat]
- Addiction Meaty Bites – Venison [U] [Treat]
The below is a list of all (if any) recall incidents tied to this brand. It includes an analysis of all dog food recalls dating back to 2010, and highlighting any releases directly related to this product line.
Note: If you don’t see any recall below, it means either of these two things. 1. There have been no recalls directly related to this product line. 2. We have not yet updated the section to reflect a recent recall.
Recalls related to Addiction:
- When: September 2016.
- New Zealand Brushtail and Vegetable, UPC code: 8-885004-070028.
- New Zealand Venison and Apple, UPC code: 8-885004-070462.
- Why: The nutritional values in this food were deemed not safe for consumption and voluntarily recalled by the company; as they contained higher levels of Vitamin A, and unsatisfactory levels of phosphorous / calcium ratio.
- Expiration: Both have expiration dates of December 2018.
- What this means for you: If you fed your dog these products for 60 days, exclusively, a reduction in appetite would be the expected effect. Any unopened cans can be returned for a full refund.
Worth mentioning: No adverse health issues were reported by pet owners. The company initiated the recall on their own and implemented strict operational procedures to prevent re-occurrence (which to date seems to have worked).
Addiction Dog Food The Bottom Line
Addiction says “someday all pet food will be made this way,” let’s figure out what they mean by that.
As we have seen from above, there is a lot to be excited about when it comes to Addiction, and who knows it may very well be the case that this brand got it’s name from dogs liking it so much, they would refuse anything but Addiction dog food. But: Either way, let’s sum up this brand before you leave.
Rethinking Pet Food
We are fans of the different approach taken by Addiction’s founder (a vet and clinical nutritionist with 20+ years of experience). Focusing on creating pet food that aims to compensate for missing nutrients and steers clear of unhealthy combinations of questionable ingredients.
Not only does this set a new standard for pet food manufacturing, but it gives dog owners a piece of mind and hope that not all companies are just churning out questionable products.
Reinventing Dog Food Formulation
By setting out to change the way companies and people looked at dog food, Addictions founder developed a completely new range of foods. Opting to formulate them with premium proteins and high quality game meats. Which meant they were not just richer in proteins, but hypoallergenic as well (oh, and easier to digest!).
Addiction Pet Food has won four awards across a variety of it’s products, in it’s relatively short existence. Thus: One can easily see why they have been so successful.
Need More Reasons?
- Novel & premium proteins
- Earth friendly
- Variety feeding
- High standards of dedication
- Passionate commitment to quality
Final Say: We like this brands philosophy, commitment to social and environmental responsibility, and frankly, dogs just love the way it tastes! So, until further notice, it’s a thumbs up for Addiction dog food.
Note: Regarding our brand analysis or product reviews; we do not accept money, samples, or gifts from pet food companies or manufacturers for special favors or considerations.
- Save 20% Off Addiction(new customers only) @ Only Natural Pet
- Free 1-2 Day Shipping On Addiction When You Spend $49+ @ Chewy.com
- Free Shipping On Addiction When You Spend $35+ @ Jet.com
We welcome our readers to share coupons and discounts with us that we may have missed in our search.
Now: Should you make a purchase by clicking the buying tip below, you will help us keep the lights on; as we will receive a referral fee from the online store. (Which in no way inhibits our independence and objectivity).
Notes, References & Updates
Please review the below when analyzing this article further.
- Descriptions and analysis expressed on this site are strictly the views and opinions of the author.
- Dognutrition.com do not test any dog food products.
- The accuracy of the information herein is dependent heavily on and correlated with the integrity of information provided by the dog food company in question.
- We strive to get all the info correct, but we do not and cannot guarantee it’s completeness or accuracy. Additionally, we do not have the resources to ensure the material is kept up-to-date on a daily basis.
- Each analysis is offered in good faith and is intended to help you make a more informed buying decision when it comes to purchasing dog food.
- Due to the unique biological identity of each dog, none of our analysis are meant to suggest or guarantee that feeding a particular dog food will result in any specific response in their diet or offer any specific health benefits.
- Addiction Pet Food Company Page
- NZ Herald News
- The Seattle Times Recall Publication
- Wild Game Meat Types – iGourmet
Have an experience with this dog food you’d like to share? Or perhaps the post itself? Please know we rely on the tips of our readers and welcome your comments.