Taking the pup for a ride?
Keep them safe and secure with one of the best dog seat belts below.
Buckle up, champ!
Whether your dog is going on a joyride with you, or you are taking him/her to the vet, it is a well-known fact that dogs love car rides. Having a good dog seat belt or a harness is a must for the ride. This will protect your dog and anyone else in the car with you.
Most people do not believe in buckling up the dog, but, it is very important that you do it. In fact, in some states, it is a must. If you saw a child in a car without a seat belt, it would totally appall you. This is the same way people should be with unbuckled dogs.
Love your dog a little too much? 12 signs you’re a crazy dog person.
Tying down all that energy
Dogs are extremely strong, and if you own a large dog, you have probably experienced this especially when walking them. They are able to snap leashes, belts and even seat belts, which can put you and anyone else in the car at risk.
The dog will be very excited about being in the car with you and will want to keep jumping up and down. They will lick or paw your face, and even entice you to play with them, which can be extremely distracting.
It is therefore important to buy your dog a special harness that has specifically been made for the dog. When a dog is let loose in your car, they can easily cause commotions, which will distract the driver, and may even cause an accident. 
Benefits of using a dog seat belt:
- It will keep your dog fixed in one location, and they will not roam around the car. As a result, you as the driver are safer. 
- You children who are in the car will be safe.
- The other passengers will be safe.
- The dog will not damage the car. For the big dogs, this is a possibility.
Reviewing the best dog seat belts
Now that we’ve looked at the case for getting your dog a harness for the car trips, let’s take a look at the top options to choose from and what makes them so great.
Mighty Paw Safety Belt Dog Seat Belt
This is designed for optimal dog safety, comfort and security. The mighty paw seat belt will attach itself directly to the frame of the vehicle by use of the latch bars that are attached to the crease of the car backseat.
It is dependable: While some other seat belts can accidentally be released by the dog stepping on the bottom, this one cannot; because it is hooked tightly on the vehicle’s latch bar. It also has an easy to grasp carabiner, you can release easily in case of an emergency.
This carabiner is very strong and lightweight and is made of aviation aluminum. It has a max force tension of up to 882 pounds (400kg).
Comfort: It is easily adjustable because it has a tri-glide attachment which extends from 16 to 26 inches. This allows for more freedom, based on the size of your dog. It also comes with a tangle-free attachment which allows the dog to rotate and even move around without getting tangled.
Long lasting and durable: This safety belt is made of high-quality nylon that is weather-proof. It is also all metal and has no touch of plastic. This ensures that you can use it for a very long period of time without the need of searching for alternatives shortly after purchasing.
- It is very convenient and can be removed and re-attached easily.
- It is long lasting and durable.
- It is made of satisfactory high-quality materials.
- It is deemed safe to use on your dog.
- It may not be ideal for small dogs.
This product has a very high rating from customers of 4.6 out of 5 stars. Almost everyone commended its quality and said that everything the manufacturer says about it is true. It is a great product that meets all expectations, especially for the big dogs.
PetsLovers Durable Dog Seat Belt
This is a heavy-duty dog seat belt, that has reflective straps and is available in 2 distinct sizes.
Safety: This seat belt is very sturdy and ideal for long car rides. It keeps your furry little baby safe in the back seat, which helps protect you from accidents as a result of being distracted by the dog jumping up and down.
Design: It has a well-made latch and hooks that keep your pet dog well secured in the back. The seat belt is adjustable from 22 to 37 inches, and it is ideal for large pets. It is also easy to use, and it comes with simple instructions printed on the back.
Comfort: It is comfortable for your dog because it uses a swivel clip that allows the dog to spin around in the seat. You, therefore, need not worry about the dog jumping out of the car while it is still moving, which could (and probably would) injure him/her.
- It is deemed safe for the dog and allows you to concentrate on driving.
- It has a sturdy design that ensures it will last a very long time.
- It is comfortable for the dog and allows them to move around easily.
- It is made of good quality materials.
- The latch version (according to some customers) doesn’t fit all cars.
Customers gave this dog seat belt a high rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars. Most customers stated that it was as advertised, and was able to completely restrain the dog in the back seat, which gave them time to concentrate on driving without any incidents.
EzyDog CLICK the Adjustable Car Restraint
Simple design: This seat belt does not need you to read instructions to be able to use it, because it is a simple click-it-and-go kind of seat belt. It has a cold steel buckle that is attached to it, which makes traveling very safe for your dog.
Strength: It comes with a 2400 lbs. breaking strength, and can be adjusted from 17.5 inches all the way to 26 inches. It has a reinforced computer stitching, that is precisely for performance, strength, and durability.
Standard: It has adhered to the industry standard of the swivel-style strap where the hook is electroplated for abrasion resistance.
- It is made of good-quality materials.
- It adheres to all of the industry standards for a dog seat belt.
- It is a simple click-and-go design that can be used by anyone.
- It is durable and long-lasting.
- The click seat belt is not compatible with Volvos.
This dog seat belt has a rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. Most of the customers who had used it claimed that it was able to keep their little puppies very safe while driving.
Pets-N-Stuff Doggy Car Headrest Restraint
Quality: Pets-n-stuff is one of the leading companies in dog travel accessories. This dog seat belt of theirs has a safe headrest that has been made of high-quality solid zinc nylon and tethered nylon fabric which also serves as an anchor for the dog.
Safe: It safely restrains and harnesses your dog ensuring that he does not move around. You should not be overly distracted as you drive the car.
Easy to use: It has tangle-free nylon straps which quickly and easily attaches to the car headrests, and they can easily be removed if needed making this a good leash for the dog while he is in the back seat of the car.
Adjustable: It can be adjusted from 18 inches to 30 inches, which means it will be able to accommodate dogs of many sizes.
- It is very safe for the dog.
- It can be adjusted easily.
- It can be used by dogs of many sizes and stretches from 18-30 inches.
- It is made of very high-quality materials.
- You may need to keep an eye on it from time to time, because if your pulls too hard on the harness too hard, it may break. But this is only true for a very strong, big dog.
Customers who used this product gave it 4.6 out of 5 stars, and they were happy with how it was able to safely restrain their pets. They especially loved the headrest attached which ensured their little pooches were very comfortable on long drives. They even slept soundly.
SGM Durable Pet Dog Car Safety Seat Belt
Materials: It is made of high-quality materials that are built-to-last. The nylon webbing you shall find on the seat belt has an advanced stitching technique that is also equipped with non-erosive, heavy-duty reflective strips and metal clips.
It has an elastic and flexible fabric bungee with a design of buffer damping, which protects the dog in case you suddenly brake the car. The length is also adjustable and can extend from 21 to 31 inches. This is comfortable enough even for large dogs.
Comfort: It has a swivel clip which is rust-proof and moves around on the seat. You can easily spin the seat belt which makes it extremely flexible and easy to use.
- It is made of high-quality materials.
- It is durable.
- It has a flexible fabric bungee for protecting the dog from emergency brakes.
- It is great for providing maximum comfort to the dog and ensures you can concentrate on driving.
- It is very comfortable for the dog.
- It is most ideal for large dogs.
This dog seat belt has a rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. Customers were mostly happy with the bungee fabric which protects their dogs from sudden impact. Everyone praised this the most because while you are driving, anything can happen.
Final say on seat belts for dogs
A final note to remember is that, what is most important when purchasing a car seat belt for your dog is to ensure you buy the right size. Most of them can only be used by large dogs, but for the little puppies, you will need to measure them before going to purchase one.
What to read next: Best Dog Muzzles (Does Your Dog Need One?)
- Blunck, Hallie et al. “Driving with Pets as a Risk Factor for Motor Vehicle Collisions among Older Drivers.” Accident; analysis and prevention 58 (2013): 70–74. PMC. Web. 9 Oct. 2018.
- Ogundele, Olumuyiwa Joshua et al. “The Impact of Seat-Belts in Limiting the Severity of Injuries in Patients Presenting to a University Hospital in the Developing World.” Nigerian Medical Journal : Journal of the Nigeria Medical Association 54.1 (2013): 17–21. PMC. Web. 9 Oct. 2018.