Is your dog getting a little stiff or tired from arthritis and/or the golden years?
The best glucosamine for dogs can be a great way to slow the aging process down and improve mobility and range of motion.
Let’s find out the how and why’s, shall we?
When it comes to dogs, most people do not realize that as they age, they also experience pains similar to those of us human beings. Some dog breeds have been known to suffer from Arthritis and joint muscle pains, and therefore it is important to know how to deal with this problem when that time comes.
A dog that is experiencing such pains will tend to be slower than normal. This is because moving around becomes extremely burdensome and even painful for them. Their quality of life is also reduced greatly, plus their long-term health is at risk.
While the older dogs are almost always expected to suffer joint and muscular pains by default, you should note that even the small pooches are not immune and can also experience such troubles, especially if it is in their genetic make-up. The Labrador Retriever, for example, is one of the breeds that are most susceptible to these pains.
If you’re starting to notice these changes in your dog already, or you have a breed susceptible to hip and joint pains, do not worry. There are solutions out there, especially if they’re not able to get their glucosamine from natural sources as part of their normal daily diet
Dietary supplements such as the glucosamine ones listed out below are now available for dogs as well. This can help increase their daily intake of this important amino sugar that occurs in the fluid around their joints, and hopefully improve and manage the related pains.
Keep in mind that they won’t provide a complete cure for the dog, but they may help to relieve the pain and make life a little easier. Now, if you can start early enough, they may also serve as a prevention measure against any such foreseeable problems from occurring in the future.
Why glucosamine? Is it safe?
You may have heard about these supplements being used by humans to help ease arthritis and symptoms and joint stiffness. In fact, in the United States, glucosamine is one of the most prevalent non-vitamin and non-mineral supplements used among adults.
The glucosamine supplements may be a valuable tool in your fight against arthritis no matter which stage it’s at; but the same is true of your dog!
In medical lingo, glucosamine is a natural compound that plays a key role in building cartilage; it is found in the connective tissues and the fluids around the joints. The supplement form is a synthesized version of that. Giving glucosamine to your dog on a regular basis (in the way it is prescribed), may offer the following benefits:
- pain relief from bone loss and inflammation
- rebuilding of lost cartilage
- improvement of joint functions and movement
- adjunctive treatment in case of an injury to a dog’s spinal disc
- surgical recovery and pain management
- a peak in the dog’s physical performance.
How does glucosamine work?
It may stimulate the dog’s chondrocytes so they can keep producing glycosaminoglycans, which are important in ensuring the joint’s integrity. The combination of proteins and sugars can provide the structure on which the joint capsule draws strength from.
It may also indirectly stimulate the chondrocytes to produce collagen, which is the protein involved in the maintenance and formation of the extracellular matrix. This collagen can provide structural strength within the capsule.
The chondrocytes produce a chemical known as lubricin which is normally added to the synovial fluid. Now technically speaking, glucosamine has the responsibility of lubricating the synovial fluid, and as such it helps in reducing friction whilst also providing a cushion of safety against any concussive forces.
Lastly, the glucosamine may be used by the chondrocytes of the joints in producing a hyaluronic acid or what is simply known as hyaluron, which is the principal component in the aforementioned synovial fluid.
So: Because it’s all about the management of joints and muscular pains, and with all of these points combined, you can see how glucosamine supplements can play a major powerhouse molecule in your dog’s health, which may help them ease the pain and increase mobility.
Glucosamine for dogs examined
To save you time and the headaches that come with browsing the internet for hours at a time, here are five of the top glucosamine options for your aching dog.
Please remember that it’s best to form a good relationship with your vet and always consult with them when introducing new things to your dogs life; especially consumables. We hope you’ll find the right one for your dog below.
Nutramax Cosequin DS Plus with MSM
Nutramax is a trusted manufacturer when it comes to glucosamine tablets for dogs. They’re chewable tablets, which help in maintaining joint function in dogs. It is also the number one recommended product by veterinarians for joint health.
It may protect your dog’s joints and also provide healthy cartilage matrix production. It may also help in keeping your dog active; plus its safe, tasty, soft, effective and bio-available.
Other important benefits of the Nutramax Cosequin chewable tablets:
- It is the most complete joint muscle support supplement available on the market.
- Its formulation includes chondroitin sulfate, MSM, green tea, ASU (Avocado and Soybeans) which effectively reduces joint pains and other symptoms.
- It has been researched for over ten years, and the benefits scientifically scrutinized
- It can help manage joint pains in dogs.
- It is suitable for long-term use.
- It has a good taste and is typically not rejected by dogs
- It is chewable.
- It is a little pricey, compared to others in the market.
Most verified customers gave it a 4.6 out of 5 stars rating and said that the supplements were able to rejuvenate their dog’s lives, improved their quality of life, and also made them noticeably happy and active again. They highly attested to this supplement for those looking to help their aching dogs.
Doggie Dailies Glucosamine for Dogs
This package contains 225 tablets that are soft and chewable, for easy eating and digestion. They provide an advanced joint and hip supplement for your dog. They’re made in the USA, and contain Chondroitin, Hyaluronic Acid, MSM, and CoQ10; which are the ingredients needed to provide some much sought after relief to your doggo.
Here’s how they can help:
- promote healthy joints and ligaments
- support a healthy cartilage
- increase the mobility and natural levels of energy
- help in easing discomfort and pains
- deliver minerals, vitamins, nutrients and essential enzymes.
- Composed of quality ingredients
- May relieve pain that is caused by arthritis, hip dysplasia
- Made in the USA and it is FDA compliant
- Company has excellent customer service
- When you buy the product, you get 2 e-books and a money-back guarantee.
- It may cause loose stool, so be sure to consult with your vet before use.
Recommended daily dosage:
This product earns a 4.5 out of 5 stars rating by most of the customers who used it. They said it had a great taste, like of chicken or bacon, which was a strong plus, as most dogs loved strong tasting products, so it was easy to convince them to chew on the tablet.
GlycoFlex 3 Ultimate Strength by VetriScience
This product has been recommended by veterinarians for over 40 years. It is deemed a trusted supplement that has been clinically proven to work in providing joint support for dogs. It may also increase the hind leg strength and help dogs improve the quality of their lives as a result.
The formula used contains powerful ingredients which include; glucosamine, MSM, and chondroitin. Their signature ingredient is the Perna canaliculus which is a whole-food and green-lipped mussel.
It provides the building blocks necessary for synovial fluid and cartilage lubrication for the muscles to work efficiently. Perna is found in New Zealand, and it contains the required omega fatty acids and amino acids.
- Clinically proven to be effective
- Comes in delicious chicken and duck flavors
- Soft and easily digestible.
- Veterinarian recommended for over 40 years.
- You must get a prescription from your vet, as it may cause some vomiting.
The product has earned a 4.5 out of 5 stars rating, and most customers stated it worked great on both young and older dogs. It also has a great taste that most dogs were able to love and was very useful in alleviating joint and muscle pains in dogs.
Hip & Joint Advanced Formula by Infinite
This comes in a package of 90 chewable tablets for dogs, and it is used to support healthy joints for both large and small canines. It does not contain any known adverse side effects, and it is a top-rated glucosamine supplement in the market.
Your pet will appreciate the fact that it comes in a delicious beef liver flavor, and also contains glucosamine, organic turmeric, MSM, and Chondroitin. All these are important ingredients in ensuring the dog’s joints are working as they should.
The organic Turmeric helps with the following:
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory
- Helps detoxifies the liver
- Provides relief from allergic reactions
- May help treat stomach ailments
- May help kills parasites
- Aids in weight management
- Promotes a healthy metabolism.
The Infinite Pet Supplements can help in the repair the joints that are already damaged, soothe any inflammation on these joints and also help to provide relief to dogs suffering from Arthritis.
- It is one of the most recommended glucosamine supplement for dogs
- It contains turmeric, which helps with inflammation.
- It is chewable, which makes it easy to digest.
- It has a delicious beef liver flavor that the dogs will love.
- It can be used on dogs of all sizes.
- It relieves pain very fast.
- It may cause an allergic reaction. Please consult your vet before administration.
It has earned a rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars. Most of the customers were happy with the product, and the fact that it was able to relieve their dog’s pain in a short period of time. A customer stated that after searching and searching for a way to relieve the pain her dog was experiencing; the infinite pet supplements did the trick. She recommended anyone with a similar experience to try this product. But be sure to consult with your vet beforehand.
Liquid Health Naturals – K-9 Glucosamine
This is a liquid joint supplement for dogs, that is made in the USA and FDA compliant. It is mainly used for structural integrity and joint cartilage. Also it contains chondroitin and glucosamine, which are ideal in preventing arthritis and pains in both old and younger dogs.
The MSM found in the supplement helps in promoting your dog’s general good health. Having it in liquid form makes it very easy to absorb quickly and much more efficiently than with tablet supplements. This can offer faster results.
- It is in liquid form, making it easy to absorb.
- It contains ingredients which may help manage arthritis and joint pains.
- It can be used by both young and old dogs.
- It is FDA compliant.
- It is made in the USA.
- Price point may be too high for some
Customers said this product earned a 4.4 out of 5 stars rating and that it worked remarkably in reviving their dog. Noting improved activeness and making their dogs much more alert. One customer talked about their pooch who couldn’t walk up and down the stairs, and after administering the supplement for some time, they were able to re-gain that privilege.
Final take on giving dogs glucosamine
Canine joint pains are a serious concern for most dog owners because they adversely affect the dog’s quality of life, and the way they look at us when they’re suffering is heartbreaking. If your dog is experiencing these pains, you will need to visit the vet, so they may determine whether prescribing some much-needed glucosamine supplements is right for your dog.
Ultimately, this may greatly improve your dogs quality of life, range of motion, and decrease their pain.
- Veterinary Teaching Hospital – Colorado State University
- ACVS – Veterinary College of Veterinary Surgeons – Osteoarthritis in Dogs
- Researchgate.net – Canine Osteoarthritis and Treatments
- PLOS.org – Who Uses Glucosamine and Why? A Study
- Science Direct – Glucosamine Overview
- Musumeci, G. et al. “Lubricin Is Expressed in Chondrocytes Derived from Osteoarthritic Cartilage Encapsulated in Poly (ethylene Glycol) Diacrylate Scaffold.” European Journal of Histochemistry : EJH 55.3 (2011): e31. PMC. Web. 13 Aug. 2018.
- Uitterlinden, EJ et al. “Glucosamine Increases Hyaluronic Acid Production in Human Osteoarthritic Synovium Explants.” BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 9 (2008): 120. PMC. Web. 13 Aug. 2018.