Let's get started . . .
Blue Buffalo’s Wilderness Formula is inspired by wolves, and created to complement a protein-rich omnivorous diet .
This recipe has been formulated for a healthy, active lifestyle, with added glucosamine for active, free-moving joints, plenty of energy for muscle development, nutrients for strong bones and anti-oxidants for an effective immune system.
By assessing the ingredients of the recipe, we can investigate whether the food is as high quality as it claims. When looking at the meat-starch ratio to assess quality of a food, there should be a high percentage of meat-based protein and minimal starch fillers.
Are Blue's Wilderness high protein & grain free options really worth it?
Let’s find out!
So: Will the Blue Buffalo Wilderness formulas really satisfy your dogs inner carnivore? Let's further examine it below, shall we?
Blue Wilderness Nature’s Evolutionary Diet with Salmon
Inside this bag, Blue buffalo has formulated a recipe that promotes healthy muscle development, strong teeth and bones, active joints, excellent skin, a glossy coat and an effective immune system.
A recipe drawing inspiration from the legendary endurance of the true omnivores and our dogs ancestors, the wolves. With deboned salmon, chicken meal, and fish meal all supplying your dog not just with a quality protein rich meal, but with an abundance of energy and muscle building for a healthy lifestyle.
LifeSource Bits are added to the recipe which are full of antioxidants (as well as vitamins and minerals) to improve the dog’s immune system. They are perfectly created for the life-stage of the dog, the support of their immune system, and an overall healthy oxidative balance. By being cold-formed, Blue Buffalo ensures no nutrients have been lost in the manufacturing process of the LifeSource Bits.
Blue Buffalo's Wilderness Nature's Evolutionary Diet with Salmon certainly deserves to be labeled as a quality dog food, earning 4.5 out of 5 paws on its nutritional analysis and ingredient list.
Ahead we'll examine the main ingredients which contribute to the properties listed above.
The Blue Buffalo Freedom Formula range comprises of 4 rolls, 27 dry and 17 canned dog foods.
Each listed formula specifies which AAFCO nutrient profile it is produced for: Growth, Maintenance, All Life Stages, Supplemental or Unspecified .
- Blue Wilderness Wild Rolls Beef Recipe [M]
- Blue Wilderness Wild Rolls Duck Recipe [M]
- Blue Wilderness Wild Rolls Salmon Recipe [M]
- Blue Wilderness Wild Rolls Chicken Recipe [M]
- Blue Wilderness Bayou Blend [A] [Dry]
- Blue Wilderness Denali Dinner [A] [Dry]
- Blue Wilderness Flatland Feast [A] [Dry]
- Blue Wilderness Chicken [M] [Dry] [Senior]
- Blue Wilderness Snake River Grill [A] [Dry]
- Blue Wilderness Duck [M] [Dry] [Adult]
- Blue Wilderness Salmon [M] [Dry] [Adult]
- Blue Wilderness Chicken [M] [Dry] [Adult]
- Blue Wilderness Chicken [G] [Dry] [Puppy]
- Blue Wilderness Small Bite [M] [Dry] [Adult]
- Blue Wilderness [M] [Dry] [Adult] [Toy Breed]
- Blue Wilderness Salmon [M] [Dry] [Adult] [Large Breed]
- Blue Wilderness Chicken[M] [Dry] [Adult] [Large Breed]
- Blue Wilderness [M] [Dry] [Adult] [Small Breed]
- Blue Wilderness Healthy Weight Chicken [M] [Dry] [Adult]
- Blue Wilderness Healthy Weight [M] [Dry] [Adult] [Small Breed]
- Blue Wilderness Chicken [G] [Dry] [Puppy] [Large Breed]
- Blue Wilderness Healthy Weight [M] [Dry] [Adult] [Large Breed]
- Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Bison [M] [Dry] [Adult]
- Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Rabbit [M] [Dry] [Adult]
- Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Red Meat [M] [Dry] [Adult]
- Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Red Meat [G] [Dry] [Puppy]
- Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Red Meat [M] [Dry] [Senior]
- Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Red Meat [M] [Dry] [Adult] [Small Breed]
- Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Healthy Weight Red Meat [M] [Dry] [Adult]
- Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Bison [M] [Dry] [Adult] [Large Breed]
- Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Red Meat [M] [Dry] [Adult] [Large Breed]
- Blue Wilderness Bayou Blend [A] [Canned]
- Blue Wilderness Denali Dinner [A] [Canned]
- Blue Wilderness Flatland Feast [A] [Canned]
- Blue Wilderness Trout & Chicken Grill [M] [Canned]
- Blue Wilderness Snake River Grill [A] [Canned]
- Blue Wilderness Beef & Chicken Grill [M] [Canned]
- Blue Wilderness Duck & Chicken Grill [M] [Canned]
- Blue Wilderness Turkey & Chicken Grill [M] [Canned]
- Blue Wilderness Salmon & Chicken Grill [M] [Canned]
- Blue Wilderness Turkey & Chicken Grill [G] [Canned] [Puppy]
- Blue Wilderness Turkey & Chicken Grill [M] [Canned] [Senior]
- Blue Wilderness Turkey & Chicken Grill [M] [Canned] [Small Breed]
- Blue Wilderness Healthy Weight Turkey & Chicken Grill [M] [Canned]
- Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Red Meat [G] [Canned] [Puppy]
- Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Rabbit Dinner [M] [Canned] [Adult]
- Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Red Meat Dinner [M] [Canned] [Adult]
- Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Red Meat Dinner [M] [Canned] [Senior]
Quick Peek of What's Inside
Menhaden Fish Meal, Chicken Meal, Salmon
Alfalfa, Fish Products, Tomato Pomace
Dried Egg, Salmon, Chicken Meal
DOG FOOD LABELING
In the United States, the guidelines for pet food ingredient labels are established by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) and individual state regulations.
The AAFCO requires that ingredients must be listed in descending order of weight (including water weight). This means that ingredients that appear at the top of the ingredient list — typically the main proteins, carbs, and fat sources — are present in higher amounts by weight in the food than items at the bottom.(2)
Although it is difficult to determine how much of an ingredient is actually in the food (due to high water content in meats and vegetables), you can assume that the first few ingredients are in the highest amounts. Therefore, the first few ingredients of a dog food can tell you a lot about the quality of the product.
Deboned Salmon & Menhaden Fish Meal
Deboned salmon and Menhaden fish meal are excellent protein-rich meat sources which are full of omega-3 and -6 which help keep the skin and coat healthy. When omega-3 and -6 are in the right ratio, the produce anti-inflammatory effects; ideal for dogs with joint pain as they reduce the inflammation . Blue Buffalo, however, does not state whether their fish products are sustainably sourced.
Chicken meal is also added, which could potentially be an allergen if the dog is allergic to chicken, but is an excellent protein source. When a food is in a meal form, it contains almost 300% more protein than the same weight of fresh meat.
Peas & Pea Protein
Full of fiber, peas have been added to keep the gut in top form. They are also full of vitamin A and potassium to aid the nerves to work correctly and keep the heart beating regularly. They are also an excellent source of protein, with a content of about 25%, so when judging the protein content from the meat ingredients, this should be considered.
Derived from the South American cassava plant, tapioca starch is an excellent energy source and a gluten-free carbohydrate.
Nothing is wasted in the manufacturing of tomato soup and ketchup. Tomato pomace is collected and used in dog foods as it is high in fiber. However, due to its low cost, its primary purpose is often simply as a filler.
Chicken fat has been collected from the rendering of chicken, and skimming the fat off the surface of the water. This is high in omega-6 which aids the joints, coat and skin.
Another protein source has been added in the form of dried egg product. This is made from the insides of eggs which have been dried, and is an easy protein to digest.
Flaxseed is another source of omega-3 and -6. It is high in protein, with a level of about 19%.
Commonly found in horse feed, alfalfa has been added which increases the fiber content of the recipe.
Potatoes also contribute to the carbohydrate content of this recipe. They keep the immune system healthy with plenty of vitamins B and C, as well as iron and magnesium.
Chicory root contains inulin which is a natural prebiotic, and dried enterococcus, lactobacillus, aspergillus, trichoderma and bacillus are all probiotics which help maintain a healthy gut environment.
High in anti-oxidants and vitamin A, sweet potato and carrots are high quality carbohydrate ingredients in this recipe. They improve the health of the skin, coat, eyes and nervous system.
Blueberries and cranberries are high in vitamins and anti-oxidants, which help improve the immune system and prevent cancers.
Also, to aid joints, turmeric reduces inflammation for dogs suffering from arthritis. It also increases lipase enzymes to aid in digestion of food .
Kelp is packed full of minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants for optimal health, including iodine, which is needed to keep the thyroid functioning to optimize metabolism.
Pleasing to the dog owner, yucca extract will help with digestion and reduce the amount of gas build up in the intestines of the dog.
With a high protein content of almost 45%, dried yeast is an excellent source. It is also rumored to repel flies, reduce bloat and support the immune system, although these are not scientifically proven.
Occasionally, some dogs find yeast triggers allergies.
The glucosamine in this recipe helps joints to stay healthy and moving with ease by improving cartilage health and promoting joint fluid production.
Plenty of vitamins and minerals have been added to the recipe to ensure a fully balanced meal.
Listed ingredients: Deboned Salmon, Chicken Meal, Peas, Pea Protein, Menhaden Fish Meal, Tapioca Starch, Dried Tomato Pomace, Pea Starch, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, DL-Methionine, Potatoes, Dried Chicory Root, Pea Fiber, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Vegetable Juice for color, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Parsley, Turmeric, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), L-Carnitine, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), L-Lysine, Copper Sulfate, Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Taurine, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Sodium Selenite, Oil of Rosemary.
Major sources of energy. The Dog Food Project’s Sabine Contreras states: “Independent researcher Dr. Doug Bibus (formerly University of Minnesota) completed a fatty acid study with dogs and recommends a ratio between 2:1 and 4:1. Personally, I believe that a quality food should contain a ratio of at least 7:1, the lower the better, especially if skin and/or coat problems are present. When my dog suffered from severe flea allergy dermatitis I switched to a food with a ratio of 2.5:1 and had great results within just a few weeks.”
ME is defined as the amount of energy available from pet food once the energy from feces, urine, and combustible gases has been subtracted. Essentially, ME is the energy left for your pet's body to use once all digestion is complete.
Note: That some nutritional percentages reported are only estimated values, and are indicated as such as (est). Each dog food manufacturer is required by law to publish a Guaranteed Analysis, which defines each product’s maximum values of fiber, moisture and ash in addition to the minimum values of protein and fat contained within. Exact nutritional percentages are not available and hence all calculated values (including carbohydrate percentages and calorie amounts) are determined using these minimum and maximum published values and therefore may differ from actual values.
ⓘ Nutritional information as published by the dog food manufacturer.
DRY MATTER ANALYSIS
ⓘ The manufacturer's published guaranteed analysis values normalized for moisture content.
0/kcal(per kg dry matter)
Using the calculations provided by the AAFCO, Blue Wilderness Salmon Dry Adult formula has approximately 359.2 calories per 100g (101.8 calories/ounce) or 415 kcals/cup. The percentages of proteins, carbohydrates and fats are not disclosed by Blue Buffalo.
VITAMINS, MINERALS & OTHERS
Micronutrients such as minerals and vitamins have been added in carefully calculated concentrations to ensure a fully balanced and healthy diet. The following displays whether the nutrients are present (Y) or not (N) in the recipe.
Vitamins & Others
What do the customers say about Blue Wilderness Salmon Dry Adult formula?
The Blue Buffalo Wilderness brand is met with mixed reviews, however there are significantly many more good reviews than bad ones. Multiple owners have commented how the grain-free recipe is sensitive on their dogs’ stomachs and those that have had stomach issues before, now are no longer suffering.
Also, many owners have noticed notable difference in the health of the coat of their dogs. Some commented that since it is high quality, only a smaller volume is needed and therefore the bag lasts longer than other brands that have been tried.
Negative comments mostly center around issues of contamination. Some bags have arrived contaminated with substances which are abnormal. Also, there was a lawsuit about large concentrations of lead in this recipe, but this was subsequently dismissed by the courts in early 2018.
What about you? Care to share your experience with this brand below.
How do you rate this product line?
Overall Quality 1 Nutritional Content 1 Recipe Selection 1 Availability 1 Price 1 Average
With a 34% crude protein level and a 37.8% dry matter basis protein, this formula definitely packs the protein punch high energy dogs crave in the pursuit of building lean muscle mass; and from a good source too, real salmon. Aiding in this endeavor are healthy carbs including sweet potatoes and peas.
With 400mg of glucosamine per kilogram as the minimum, the recipe is visibly seeking to promote joint health. Something we care a lot about with active adult dogs!
After taking a closer look at the Wilderness Formula from Blue Buffalo and the Natures Evolutionary Diet with Salmon adult dry dog food recipe specifically, we highly recommend this product line for owners looking to supply their adult dogs with energy for an active and healthy lifestyle.
Overall, after analyzing the ingredient profile this animal nutritionists created formula does aim to promote healthy muscle development, a healthy skin and coat, and joint health; among other things.
- Dzanis, D.A., 1994. The Association of American Feed Control Officials dog and cat food nutrient profiles: Substantiation of nutritional adequacy of complete and balanced pet foods in the United States. The Journal of nutrition, 124(suppl_12), pp.2535S-2539S.
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Formula - https://bluebuffalo.com/for-dogs/product-lines/wilderness-dog-food/
- Roush, J.K., Dodd, C.E., Fritsch, D.A., Allen, T.A., Jewell, D.E., Schoenherr, W.D., Richardson, D.C., Leventhal, P.S. and Hahn, K.A., 2010. Multicenter veterinary practice assessment of the effects of omega-3 fatty acids on osteoarthritis in dogs. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 236(1), pp.59-66.
- Dog, T.L., 2006. A reason to season: the therapeutic benefits of spices and culinary herbs. Explore: The Journal of Science and Healing, 2(5), pp.446-449.
Stock Photo from Dezy / Shutterstock
Read More Reviews:
Reviews, tips, recalls, and more!
Dognutrition.com is powered by an engine that runs on a deeply rooted love for dogs. Our goal is to research and publish quality material to help you raise a safe and healthy dog. We rank and review the latest dog food, toys, supplies and more; we also keep you posted on the latest dog food recalls and health concerns.